[Dovecot] Having trouble getting Dovecot to read a ~/Maildir configuration

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Apr 21 04:10:27 EEST 2011

Murray Collingwood put forth on 4/20/2011 7:12 PM:

> And finally a look at the ~/Maildir content for my "postmaster" user:
> root at ds5683:/etc/dovecot# ls -al /home/postmaster/Maildir
> total 148
> drwx------ 6 postmaster postmaster  4096 Apr 21 08:55 .
> drwxr-xr-x 3 postmaster postmaster  4096 Apr 19 08:12 ..
> drwx------ 2 postmaster postmaster 12288 Apr 21 08:40 cur
> -rw------- 1 postmaster postmaster 89088 Apr 21 08:40 dovecot.index.cache
> -rw------- 1 postmaster postmaster  2376 Apr 21 08:40 dovecot.index.log
> -rw------- 1 postmaster postmaster  5208 Apr 21 08:40 dovecot-uidlist
> -rw------- 1 postmaster postmaster     8 Apr 21 08:55 dovecot-uidvalidity
> -rw------- 1 postmaster postmaster     0 Apr 21 08:34
> dovecot-uidvalidity.4daf5f73
> drwx------ 5 postmaster postmaster  4096 Apr 21 08:56 INBOX
> drwx------ 2 postmaster postmaster 12288 Apr 21 09:39 new
> drwx------ 2 postmaster postmaster  4096 Apr 21 09:39 tmp
>
> So, can somebody help me get Dovecot to recognise the messages in this
> mailbox please?

Is this the only IMAP 'account' showing this odd behavior?  You have
tested more than one account I assume--SOP for situations like this.  We
first need to nail down if the problem is global or local to this one
account.

And yes, it seems you probably want this:
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

instead of standard maildir++ layout.

--
Stan