[Dovecot] What is the recommended way to move a message from one mailbox to another using CLI

Uffe Jakobsen uffe at uffe.org
Wed Apr 27 18:09:35 EEST 2011

What is the recommended way to move a message from one mailbox to another
using CLI - serverside commands ?

Since IMAP does not support transactional moves between mailboxes - The only
thing that comes to my mind is this operation:

1) extract message from mailbox A using "doveadm fetch"
2) inject message into mailbox B using "dovecot-lda"
3) expunge message from mailbox A using "doveadm expunge"

it this the right solution ?

One problem with above approach is that injecting through "dovecot-lda" will
trigger the sieve script - which I'm not interested in since the message
have already been injected and processed once before - at delivery...

Any advice is much welcome