[Dovecot] dovecot.org mirrors?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 29 20:10:45 EEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 19:35 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I was also planning on adding some mirroring by adding 2+ A records to
> some names:

The mirroring setup is finished. There's a master server now handling
dovecot.org and a mirror server handling www/hg/wiki. Would be nice to
get another reliable fast mirror server if someone wants to donate
one :) Requirements are:

 - Apache2 with WSGI
 - Mercurial
 - Patched moinmoin
 - ssh + rsync so I can push changes immediately

I have a script that builds all of those on a freshly installed CentOS
5.6 (and a kickstart config to do the install too).

>  * hg.dovecot.org can be mirrored either with hg itself pushing changes
> or calling rsync

hg commit hook calls rsync immediately

>  * www.dovecot.org can be mirrored with periodic rsync. The most
> frequent changes are mailing list archives and nightly tarballs.

www itself doesn't change unless I change it manually. When a new mail
arrives via mailman, it gets rsynced to mirrors within 5 minutes. This
is done by rsyncing the current month's all files/dirs.

>  * wiki*.dovecot.org could also be rsynced and set read-only. A patched
> MoinMoin could show "Edit" links as pointing to master.wiki*.dovecot.org
> where editing is allowed.

Edits are rsynced to mirrors within 5 minutes.

Also there's a nightly script that rsyncs everything just in case
(except in case of mailing list archives only current+last month, since
they're so huge).

BTW. Apparently there's still something wrong with dovecot.org's reverse
DNS record. It appears to be ok, but some DNS servers have cached it
wrong. I don't know why. We've complained to the ISP. Also dovecot.org
is currently sharing IP with some other stuff, but should get its own IP
some day.