[Dovecot] dovecot.org mirrors?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Apr 30 22:23:39 EEST 2011

On 30.4.2011, at 22.11, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> I think I had offered you a mirror and/or DNS slaves in the past. ATM
> we can't manage the Mercurial and moinmoin, but that might change in
> the near future.
>
> I can still offer you two DNS slaves, if you're interested in that,
> but there are other free/gratis services available which can do that
> quite well.

Yes, DNS is good enough already with 3 servers in completely different networks (although all of them in Finland, but I doubt the whole Finland drops off the map that easily :)

>> BTW. Apparently there's still something wrong with dovecot.org's
>> reverse DNS record. It appears to be ok, but some DNS servers have
>> cached it wrong. I don't know why. We've complained to the ISP.
>
> Sounds like the TTL was too long before a change was made.

But there has been no change to it for months! (If not years, I don't know.) So I'm sure the ISP has screwed up something.

>> Also dovecot.org is currently sharing IP with some other stuff,
>> but should get its own IP some day.
>
> dovecot.org.            3600    IN      A       194.89.34.45
> 45.34.89.194.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN     PTR     mkentta.iki.fi.
> mkentta.iki.fi.         86400   IN      A       194.89.34.45
>
> Looks fine, although the PTR is mkentta.iki.fi. and not dovecot.org.

Yeah, that'll change back to dovecot.org in near future.

> I'd use "mkentta.iki.fi" as the HELO name if sending mail from there,
> but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

It should be doing that, yes.