[Dovecot] IMAP Label Updates not showing up across shared account

Thu Jun 9 18:20:45 EEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 06:22:52PM +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 08.06.2011 14:59, Timo Sirainen:
>
> > Well, this was an interesting message. multipart/alternative where first
> > part was text and second part a GIF image.
>
> To me, it seems the second part is not a GIF but rather a
> multipart/related which, in turn, contains the GIF as first (and only)
> part. Maybe that's what confuses some clients.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Alternative, the parts of
a multipart/alternative are supposed to be ordered by increasing
faithfulness. Typically, this means plain text followed by HTML or rich
text. In this case, the mime structure is implying that the
multipart/related bundle is a truer representation than the plain text.

This also explains why mutt doesn't miss a beat with these messages. It
can't display the GIF, so the next best option is the plain text :)

--
Paul Saunders