[Dovecot] dovecot.org mirrors?

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Sun May 1 07:58:14 EEST 2011

On 04/30/2011 03:11 PM, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:10:45PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> The mirroring setup is finished. There's a master server now
>> handling dovecot.org and a mirror server handling www/hg/wiki.
>> Would be nice to get another reliable fast mirror server if
>> someone wants to donate one :) Requirements are:
>>
>>  - Apache2 with WSGI
>>  - Mercurial
>>  - Patched moinmoin
>>  - ssh + rsync so I can push changes immediately
>
> I think I had offered you a mirror and/or DNS slaves in the past. ATM
> we can't manage the Mercurial and moinmoin, but that might change in
> the near future.
>
> I can still offer you two DNS slaves, if you're interested in that,
> but there are other free/gratis services available which can do that
> quite well.
>
>> BTW. Apparently there's still something wrong with dovecot.org's
>> reverse DNS record. It appears to be ok, but some DNS servers have
>> cached it wrong. I don't know why. We've complained to the ISP.
>
> Sounds like the TTL was too long before a change was made.
>
>> Also dovecot.org is currently sharing IP with some other stuff,
>> but should get its own IP some day.
>
> dovecot.org.            3600    IN      A       194.89.34.45
> 45.34.89.194.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN     PTR     mkentta.iki.fi.
> mkentta.iki.fi.         86400   IN      A       194.89.34.45
>
> Looks fine, although the PTR is mkentta.iki.fi. and not dovecot.org.
> I'd use "mkentta.iki.fi" as the HELO name if sending mail from there,
> but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

At the moment,

  $ dig -x 194.89.34.45

  ; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> -x 194.89.34.45
  ;; global options: +cmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL:0

  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;45.34.89.194.in-addr.arpa.	IN	PTR

  ;; Query time: 0 msec
  ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
  ;; WHEN: Sun May  1 00:49:20 2011
  ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 43

  $ dig +short 34.89.194.in-addr.arpa ns
  $ dig +short 89.194.in-addr.arpa ns
  ns2-usa.global.sonera.net.
  ns2-fin.global.sonera.fi.
  ns1-fin.global.sonera.fi.
  ns1-swe.global.sonera.se.
  ns.ripe.net.

  $ dig +short @ns2-usa.global.sonera.net -x 194.89.34.45
  mkentta.iki.fi.

  $ dig +short @ns2-fin.global.sonera.fi. -x 194.89.34.45
  mkentta.iki.fi.

  $ dig +short @ns1-fin.global.sonera.fi -x 194.89.34.45
  mkentta.iki.fi.

  $ dig +short @ns1-swe.global.sonera.se. -x 194.89.34.45
  mkentta.iki.fi.

  $ dig +short @ns.ripe.net -x 194.89.34.45

It looks like that last one could be the problem.