[Dovecot] is reverse dns down ?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon May 2 15:05:42 EEST 2011

On 5/2/2011 6:30 AM, Voytek Eymont wrote:

> # host  194.89.34.45
> Host 45.34.89.194.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

~$ host 194.89.34.45
45.34.89.194.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mkentta.iki.fi.

~$ prdns.pl 194.89.34.45/32
194.89.34.45: mkentta.iki.fi

~$ rdns-tool.pl 194.89.34.45/32
using mask 32
    194.89.34.45: mkentta.iki.fi

Looks like there's a DNS issue on your end.  Try flushing your cache.
For obvious reasons Postfix returns a 450 in this case, so the list
server will attempt delivery for a few days.

If you don't run your own resolver on your Postfix MX I suggest you do
so.  I use PowerDNS recursor on my MX MTAs.  Works great.  Setup takes
less than 5 minutes.  Caching is in memory only, not disk, so a restart
clears everything.

--
Stan