[Dovecot] Encoding dovecot keywords

Ernesto Revilla Derksen erevilla at yaco.es
Fri May 6 13:20:38 EEST 2011

Hi.

2011/4/10 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>

> On 9.4.2011, at 13.41, Алексей Сундуков wrote:
>
> > Ok, but if I write my own MUA application? If different MUA use it's
> > own encoding format I think it's bad, very very bad way. Because
> > application can't decode keywords written by another application.
>
> Yeah, it sucks.

Well, it could be worse. Dovecot's max length is configurable. We just need
atom compatible keywords. For latin written languages, this could be doable.
For other languages, it sucks. It would be better if keywords were that
UTF-7 modified thing, just like folder names, but that is not the standard
:-(

> > Can someone known a solution to this problem?
>
> No. You could try proposing a standard though.
> http://www.washington.edu/imap/lists/imap-protocol.html

This is cool!

Well, changing IMAP keywords to UTF-7-mod + specifiying min size supported
by IMAP servers and max size in capabilities anyhow would be a not too
intrusive change, right?

Regards.
Erny