[Dovecot] May 05 07:20:21 imap: Warning: Time jumped forwards 16 seconds

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Fri May 6 14:35:03 EEST 2011

On Fri, 06 May 2011 06:53:13 -0400
Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> articulated:

> On 2011-05-06 12:05 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
>
> >> No no no! That just makes things worse! It's the most common reason
> >> for these "Time jumped forwards/backwards" warnings.
>
> > The machine runs FreeBSD not Linux :-)
>
> So? The basic premise is still the same... the system clock should
> NEVER jump time like that during normal operations, if it does,
> something is seriously broken.
>
> ntpdate, which causes large jumps, should only be used at boot time
> BEFORE server processes are started, then ntp CLIENT keeps the systems
> clock in sync using tiny increments, usually less than a second.
>
> > it runs ntpd pointing to several reliables NTP servers
> > since 5 years
>
> So something changed/broke? Happens all the time...

Sorry, I missed some of this thread; however, I was wondering if anyone
suggested replacing the battery. I have seen a phenomena like this once
before on an old PC with a dying battery.

I did post about a possible solution with ntp on a FreeBSD machine. I
am not sure if the OP has tried that procedure or not.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net