[Dovecot] IMAP push

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sat May 7 09:55:34 EEST 2011

Am 06.05.2011 17:02, schrieb Dennis Guhl:
> On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 03:57:23PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
> [..]

> [..]
>
>> imap push means something like imap lemonade
>
> No, the LEMONADE profile (RFC 4550) is a set of extensions for IMAP.
> The focus is on saving bandwith and CPU while working with email on
> mobile devices and similar limited items. For this it describes how to
> handle email without the need to completely download it for replying
> or forwarding. There is nothing about push mail. Howerver IDLE is
> mentioned as an additionally extension which must be supportet.
>
> If you take a look on the website, you will see the push functionality
> is only a reference to IMAP IDLE as in RFC 2177.
>
> [..]
>
>> on android use k9 mail as best imap solution ( no need for z-push etc )
>> dont know about good alternative imap clients vor iphone or blackberry
>
> I don't know about iPhones IMAP client but the default IMAP client for
> Blackberries is very good -- even better then K9, which I use on my
> Android.
>
> Dennis

notice i wrote "like" not "it is"

http://www.lemonadeformobiles.com/quick.html

--snip
'Push' Email (via IMAP-IDLE)

When there is ongoing activity between the client and the server, IMAP
will automatically inform the client of the presence of new messages.

The IMAP IDLE command, which is a widely implemented standard extension
to the core IMAP protocol and contained within the LEMONADE Profile,
ensures that the server will inform the client of new messages even when
there is no other activity taking place between client and server.

IDLE maintains the connection by issuing a 'NOOP' command, usually every
15 minutes, to ensure that the connection isn't disrupted by a timeout.
The main types of timeouts that usually occur are:

    IMAP server timeout: Typically occurs after 30 minutes with no activity.
    Underlying TCP connection timeout: Usually after a few hours.
    NAT Gateway timeout: Most mobile devices access the Internet through
a device operated by the mobile service provider called a NAT (Network
Address Translation) gateway. These will typically time out an idle
connection after 15 minutes.

NOOP (No Operation) performs no action other than having the server send
an 'OK' reply and exchanges a bandwidth efficient few bytes of data.

--snip-end
--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer