[Dovecot] alpine + Maildir

upen upendra.gandhi at gmail.com
Mon May 9 18:20:18 EEST 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM, upen <upendra.gandhi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What you are probably looking for is in the alpine configuration (setup ->
>> configure) the 'Hide Empty Directories' option which you have to turn on.
>>
>> It corresponds to the 'quell-empty-directory' in pinerc
>>
>> Hope it helps.

Hi Wolfgang,

You are right, that option should have taken care of [/] directory
after each folder , however for some reason it doesn't and I don't
understand why. One update however with #md implementation is that I
just tried one more thing in my alpine configuration and [/] has
vanished after that so probably I don't have to configure for
password-less alpine on the email server.

Here is the specific configuration from my /etc/pine.conf or .pinerc

1. maildir-location=../../Mail/${LOGNAME}
#folder-collections=Mail
{localhost/novalidate-cert/ssl/user=${LOGNAME}}[] <---- Commented.
2. folder-collections=Mail #md/../../Mail/${LOGNAME}/.[]

With this configuration, all folders appear fine.
Folders :

INBOX              sent-mail          saved-messages     ABC
    PINE_FOLDER        Queue              Sent               Trash
sent-mail-apr-2011

In addition, I am going to change sent messages and saved messages
setting as below so that when users are migrated from ~/mail to
/Mail/user/ (maildir) format then their newly sent emails and saved
messages also continue to go into /Mail/user/.sent-mail and
/Mail/user/.saved-messages folder respectively.

default-fcc=sent-mail
default-saved-msg-folder=saved-messages

Thank you everyone for their inputs. Appreciate it.
UG