[Dovecot] mbox/maildir mixed setup with system/virtual mixed users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 9 19:34:02 EEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 15:40 +0300, Victor TARHON-ONU wrote:

>  	...And mailbox and folder location settings:
>
>    userdb static {
>      args = uid=mail gid=mail home=/var/spool/vmail/%d/mail/%n mail=mbox:/var/spool/vmail/%d/imap/%n:INBOX=mbox:/var/spool/vmail/%d/mail/%n

There's no "mbox:" after INBOX=. I wonder how it works at all if you've
it like that.

>  	Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is to reconfigure dovecot to
> create and handle the secondary mail folders (/home/user/mail for system
> users and /var/spool/vmail/domainname/imap/user/imap for virtual users) in
> maildir format.
>
>  	I tried to define some name spaces to make this happen, but
> whatever I to do make one work (either the virtual users or the system
> users) would make the other non-functional.

You need to configure system users in dovecot.conf and for virtual users
override the namespace location. I think something like this works:

userdb static {
  args = .. namespace_2_location=maildir:/var/spool/vmail/%d/imap/%n

The "2" there means the second listed namespace.