[Dovecot] Posfix and Dovecot (dovecot like LDA) and no space left on the disk

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon May 9 21:46:36 EEST 2011

On 5/9/2011 10:37 AM, Petr Svacina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please I have a question:
>
> If my server is out of space (disk full) and  the postfix is LDA, the new messages a deffered or refused,so postfix send 450 to sender ...
> But When I use dovecot (1.2.16) like LDA, postfix accept message (even there is no space), forward to dovecot, dovecot REFUSE the message and message is lost !
>
> How can I solve this ? I don't want tu use quota and the disk was full, because of the other problem ....

This is more of a mail server admin 101 issue than a Dovecot issue.
Putting your log, mail spool, and user mail directories on separate
partitions, physical disks, or SAN LUNs will prevent such a problem from
occurring 99% of the time, assuming you have planned and sized your
storage appropriately for your environment.  At minimum you should have
your spool and user mail storage on different partitions.  To avoid this
issue the other 1% of the time, use monitoring or log summary tools to
notify you of disk space usage so you know when you're close to running
out of space.  For instance, I receive the following as part of my daily
logwatch summary on my personal domain MX:

  /dev/sda2              33G  4.2G   28G  14% /
  /dev/sda1              92M  8.4M   79M  10% /boot
  /dev/sda6              94G  1.2G   92G   2% /home
  /dev/sda7              94G   25G   70G  26% /samba

Note that I have both system logs and the mail spool on / but user mail
directories in /home.  This setup is acceptable for a low volume server.
  For a high volume server the mail spool should be on a dedicated
partition, as well as user mail dirs.

If you already know all of this and an unforeseen issue caused your
problem, accept my apologies for preaching to the choir.

--
Stan