[Dovecot] compressed mboxes very slow

Kamil Jońca kjonca at o2.pl
Tue May 10 02:20:19 EEST 2011

Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> writes:

> On 5/8/2011 5:21 AM, Kamil Jońca wrote:
>> Stan Hoeppner<stan at hardwarefreak.com>  writes:

>>> What other software, if any, was also upgraded/changed when you
>>> upgraded to Dovecot 2.0.12?  Libraries?  Filesystem?  Daemons?  What
>>
>> IIRC only dovecot - I simply upgrade debian package via aptitude.
>
> The latest Debian stable dovecot package is 1.2.15-4.  If 'aptitude
> upgrade' pulled 2.0.12 then you are running either testing or

Yes, its testing (sid) dist.

[...]

> If you're running testing/unstable you should already know how to
> check this.  Inotify is a kernel API.  For Debian Dovecot to use

I know what is inotify, but I haven't to test it so far. :|

> inotify it must be compiled with the build option 'notify=inotify'.
> You'll need to see the package maintainer's  build script.  You'll
> also need to look at the kernel .config used to build your kernel as
> inotify must be built into your kernel.

1. I have uninstalled debian's package
2. got http://www.dovecot.org/nightly/dovecot-20110506.tar.gz,
3. configure with --notify=inotify, and it looks that inotify exists and
is used[1], make make install
4. then run with
#strace -o ~/tmp/dovecot/log -ff dovecot -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

5. connect with mutt and select one of gzipped folders
6. connect with fetchmail and select another gzipped folder (with the
same contents as in 5)

grepping strace logs shows that in both cases mboxes are reread
regularly :( moreover there's no inotify_init (...) call by any dovecot
process.

Any ideas?

[1] moreover inotifywatch  works as expected.

KJ

--
http://modnebzdury.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/niewiarygodny-list-prof-majewskiej-wprowadzenie/
"Sęk w tym, że człowiek rozumny jest statystycznie głupi" - Stanisław Lem.