[Dovecot] when the user has no home directory

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 10 20:29:39 EEST 2011

On 11:59 AM, Dave Yost wrote:
> A user on our server for some reason didn't have a home directory. As a
> result, the pop3 server was complaining. Apple's Mail app reported that
> the server said:
>
>   The attempt to send data to the server "(null)" failed.

Mail is sent via SMTP, not POP3. A client MUA delivers mail to a server
via SMTP and presumably it is the MTA on the server, not Dovecot, that
issued whatever failure resulted in the above.

It is possible that Dovecot is involved, e.g. in processing SASL
authentication, but Apple Mail would have been talking to the MTA on the
server.