[Dovecot] Expunge deleted messages older than X days for all users ?

Bar Ziony bar at jungo.com
Thu May 12 10:15:12 EEST 2011

Hi,

I'm currently migrating to Dovecot-based IMAP server for a ~200 users
environment. Clients are Outlook 2003/2007, Thunderbird 3.x and various
mobile clients.

1) What I want to accomplish is to allow the users to delete a message
(then the message is moved to "Trash"), then when they empty/delete that
message from Trash, it will be kept somewhere on the server for X days,
and the user could recover that message in some way.

Is that at all possible with Dovecot?

2) Also, how can I automatically expunge the emails that the user
deleted from their deleted items folder ? What if users don't EXPUNGE by
themselves ? What do you do in that case?

Thanks,
Bar.