[Dovecot] Permission lookup failed with imap

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Mon May 16 17:24:46 EEST 2011

Hi,

>> I'm still trying to troubleshoot my problem with dovecot-2.0.11 and
>> creating "mail/mail" directories for a reason unknown to me, so I
>> enabled mail_debug. It's now printing this:
>>
>> May 15 21:39:33 mail dovecot: imap(gdadmin): Debug: Namespace : Using
>> permissions from /home/gdadmin/mail: mode=0755 gid=-1
>> May 15 21:39:33 mail dovecot: imap(gdadmin): Debug: Namespace :
>> Permission lookup failed from /home/gdadmin/mail/mail/INBOX.
>> Trash
>>
>> That file (INBOX.Trash) does exist at that location and is readable.
>> It prints that line three times for each of INBOX.Sent, INBOX.Trash,
>> and INBOX.Drafts.
>>
>> Also notice that it is creating /home/user/mail/mail. My mail_location
>> is set to "mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u", so I'm really
>> confused.
>
> Your client probably has set a "mail/" namespace prefix. Either remove
> that or add a namespace to make both work:
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces
>
> Also I don't understand why you would have stuff like INBOX.Sent.
> Usually it would be called just "Sent", i.e. /home/gdadmin/mail/Sent.

Ah, yes, that must be it. This was using squirrelmail as the mail
client, and apparently I didn't change the namespace there after the
migration. I'll try and do that now.

For the INBOX.* files, I believe squirrelmail was also configured to
adjust for that.

If I delete the .subscription files for all users, will dovecot
automatically rebuild them, so I can create a sed script to rename all
the INBOX.* files to remove the INBOX. part?

Thanks,
Alex