[Dovecot] integrating procmail

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Thu May 19 10:07:44 EEST 2011

On 5/19/2011 7:04 AM, Kamil Jońca wrote:
> Jerry<dovecot.user at seibercom.net>  writes:
>
>>> Below, I've provide the relevant snippets of my current functional
>>> configuration; how best to integrate procmail into the mix?
>> Why procmail? Use sieve instead. It is fully supported in Dovecot and
>> IMHO far easier to use.
> Well, how can I call external program from sieve? (For example for
> decoding some data, and put them to database?) Is any extension for
> this?
> KJ

Currently, no. Not an official one anyway.

We did see the potential of this a few months back and we've built a
skeleton implementation of such an extension. 'Skeleton' in this case
means that there is a plugin that implements the Sieve language
extension, but it does not actually do anything yet. I've documented the
language extension as follows:

http://hg.rename-it.nl/hidden/pigeonhole-0.2-sieve-pipe/raw-file/tip/doc/rfc/spec-bosch-sieve-pipe.txt

I am not sure when we can continue work on this. For security reasons,
external programs would not be forked from the Sieve interpreter
(LDA/LMTP plugin) directly, but rather using some unix socket and a
Dovecot service. It should at least be implemented for Dovecot v2.1.

Timo, any comments?

Regards,

Stephan.