[Dovecot] integrating procmail

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu May 19 17:02:50 EEST 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 03:20:08PM -0700, errno wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 03:07:44 PM Jerry wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:50:54 -0700
> > errno <errno at cox.net> articulated:
> > > Below, I've provide the relevant snippets of my current
> > > functional configuration; how best to integrate procmail into
> > > the mix?
> >
> > Why procmail? Use sieve instead. It is fully supported in Dovecot
> > and IMHO far easier to use.
>
> I hear you, and agree - I was able to determine that sieve was
> better supported. Unfortunately, I'm doing this for a client who is
> rather set in his ways and already has a largish custom procmail
> filter he wants/needs to use. For me to tell him, "no we need to
> use sieve instead", he will see that as a failure on my part;
> and/or will request that I install and configure a different
> combination of software that will facilitate his familiar territory
> of procmail.
>
> Seeing as I already have postfix and dovecot functioning, I'd rather
> just get procmail in there and be done with it; is this possible?

This is all on the Postfix side. Leave Dovecot out of it. And it's
trivial.

main.cf:
mydestination = localhost, localhost.$mydomain[, ... ]
virtual_alias_maps = (set to something)

virtual_alias_maps includes this:
real at email.address		setnways at localhost

Create a Unix user, "setnways".

~setnways/.forward:
|/path/to/procmail

Populate ~setnways/.procmailrc as desired.

Obviously this won't work if you have disabled local(8) delivery.

Note: I set reply-to this list, but it would be more appropriate on
postfix-users. Start a new thread there if you need help. See also:
    http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html
    http://www.postfix.org/aliases.5.html
    http://www.postfix.org/local.8.html
And your OS documentation if needed.