[Dovecot] Migrate to new server without raw copy

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri May 20 12:53:43 EEST 2011

On 19/05/2011 22:43, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> I've setup a new virtual machine to run my mail servers.  Dovecot is
> installed and talking with the LDAP server for the user list.  Now the
> question is how to migrate the data from the old Dovecot to the new.

Different problem, but please also note the fantastic "proxy" feature in
dovecot. With a bit of config this allows you to point all your users at
the new server, whilst proxying them back to the old server if that's
where their mailbox still remains.

This dramatically reduces the challenge of migrating a ton of data in a
big bang - you can migrate mailbox by mailbox and update the proxy
settings for each user as you go.

Good luck

Ed W