[Dovecot] Crash test :)

Kamil Jońca kjonca at o2.pl
Fri May 20 22:35:39 EEST 2011

I'm considering to move my mails from maildir/mbox to mdbox. One of my
doubts is: how can I restore my mails when something terrribly wrong
happens.

I understand that I should use doveadm import "backup_location"
"mailbox" all.

So I try to import with:

doveadm -v import "sdbox:~/Mail/dbox-temp/spamcop/reports/" "#Dbox/spamcop/reports" all

#Dbox namespace were defined as:

namespace {
  hidden = no
  inbox = no
  list = yes
  location = mdbox:~/Mail/Dbox
  prefix = "#Dbox/"
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}

dbox-temp were defined earlier as
namespace {
  hidden = no
  inbox = no
  list = yes
  location = sdbox:~/Mail/dbox-temp
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}

1. when I specified for example sdbox:~/Mail/dbox-temp/spamcop/reports/ doveadm
search mails under ~/Mail/dbox-temp/spamcop/reports/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails/
- am I missing something from documentation?
(I expected rather ~/Mail/dbox-temp/mailboxes/spamcop/reports/dbox-Mails)

2. when I move dbox-Mails to proper place I got:

doveadm(kjonca): Error: sdbox /home/kjonca/Mail/dbox-temp/spamcop/reports/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails: Invalid dbox header size
doveadm(kjonca): Error: sdbox /home/kjonca/Mail/dbox-temp/spamcop/reports/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails: Invalid dbox header size

And nothing were imported.

Notices:

a) there were only u.* files, no indexes.
b) u.* files were created on i386 system, and import test on amd64.

KJ

--
http://blogdebart.pl/2010/03/17/dalsze-przygody-swinki-w-new-jersey/