[Dovecot] problems with debian 5.0 and thunderbird

Binarus lists at binarus.de
Wed May 25 15:13:34 EEST 2011

On 25.05.2011 03:29, Steven Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a setup guide for Thunderbird and Dovecot on Debian please?
>
> Dovecot is 1.0.15
>
> I have Dovecot running listening on 143 and I can telnet from the XP guest but Thunderbird cant or wont talk to it.

Did I get this right: You can telnet to port 143 of the server?

> I have taken the # off listen  and I get a telnet reply, no firewall is configured....
>
> Ive set thunderbird up lots so I suspect its not Thunderbird but a dovecot config I have wrong.
>

> regards

Perhaps Thunderbird wants to talk via SSL (Port 993)?

If that is not the case, the common recommendation is to look into the
logs at the server side (/var/log/syslog, /var/log/mail and so on). For
further details and how to increase the debug level, look here:
http://wiki1.dovecot.org/Logging

If that doesn't help, install Thunderbird's addon accountex,  export
your account settings to a file (don't forget to clear your logins and
passwords before doing so) and provide them to the community so that
somebody could take a look.

Regards,

Peter