[Dovecot] dovecot 2.1 breaks FTS + pre-auth?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 4 03:56:05 EEST 2012

You can run Dovecot without root: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/Rootless

> Full text search used to work just fine with this configuration, and
> still does on a machine I have running dovecot 2.0.13.  However, on
> the machine with 2.1, I get errors about /var/run/dovecot/index not
> existing.
>
> $ printf "a select INBOX\nb search text xyzzy\nc logout\n" \
>    | /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
> * PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS SPECIAL-USE] Logged in as dm
> imap(dm): Error: net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/indexer) failed: No such file or directory

I looked at the code and looks like there is no easy way to make it work the old way. The new way is the only way to make fts-lucene work reliably, and it's also better for fts-solr. And fts-squat is really on its way out to die.