[Dovecot] log_path - expansion possible?

Robert Blayzor rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
Thu Dec 6 00:40:52 EET 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 5:35 PM, Daniel Parthey <daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> Dovecot is able to send logs to a (configurable) syslog_facility.
> Rsyslog logging daemon is able to write different files depending on time.
> There are available properties like $YEAR $MONTH $DAY $HOUR $MINUTE in rsyslog.

I'm aware of the syslog functionality; the same can be done with syslog-ng.  But I was hoping for a something a little more flexible for local filesystem based logs. (or over NFS).  As a workaround I just put something like this in cron:

mv dovecot.log `date -v-1d +"dovecot-%Y%m%d"` && kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/dovecot/master.pid`

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net