[Dovecot] Missing Emails

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Fri Dec 28 05:54:19 EET 2012

David Morsberger <dave at morsberger.com> wrote:

> I reported a problem with disappearing emails on my Apple Mountain
> Lion server. Not sure if it ever stopped but I do know it is happening
> again.

> Help!!!! This is a company email server. They live and die by their
> emails.

> Emails show up in inbox and then disappear.

> Anyone know why our emails are disappearing?

You should configure the mail_log plugin to log all actions clients do
to your mails: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/MailLog

I've had to debug similar problems in the past time (on a different IMAP
server) and in _all_ cases it was something the user did, like having a
client downloading the mails via POP3 (and forgetting about this) and
complaining about missing mails from "the Webmailer Website". Or having
configured a filter inside Thunderbird (and forgetting about this),
instructing the client to delete mails matching a special rule.

> I see a reference to it in the dovecot.index.cache file (last item)

If there is a reference in this file, the mail must have reached
dovecot. So the next step would be to find out, _what exactly_ the
client does with it. See mail_log again.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.