[Dovecot] fts size

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 28 16:25:30 EET 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 15:02 +0100, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> Does anybody have any numbers for how large storage one will need for
> the fts indexing server? I see the wiki says 30% of mailbox size for
> Squat (partial=4 full=4). Is it similar for lucene/solr?

My initial tests for CLucene were that it would take 30% of mailbox size
(compared to 50% for Xapian). But this was before I actually implemented
it to Dovecot.. I haven't really looked at how large the indexes
actually are.

Looking at Lucene indexes now for all of Dovecot and Dovecot-cvs mailing
list archives, the indexes are 29.1% of the original mbox sizes.

> Do I understand correctly if I think http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Lucene
> will create an index for each user in his home directory?

Yes.

> Will this be accounted for in the users' quota?

Only if you're using filesystem quota.