[Dovecot] Dovecot clustering with dsync-based replication

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 28 16:43:38 EET 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 09:27 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2012-02-28 9:03 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> > This document describes a design for a dsync-replicated Dovecot cluster.
>
> <snip>
>
> Wow, talk about timing... this looks like a perfect answer to my
> previous question about setting up two servers in two different
> locations to serve two different sets of users locally...

Yeah, I was delaying answering it until I posted this.

> Looks like it wouldn't really matter which server they connected to
> externally, as any changes would simply be replicated.

Well, preferably users would connect to the same server. If both servers
have done changes at the same time, there can be some temporary
(possibly user-visible) confusion.

> Timo, state above that this 'describes a design'... does this mean that
> this is doable right now? Which of the following terms would you use to
> describe it at this point in time?
>
> Potentially problematic

Not finished yet, so closest to this. :) I'm planning on making our own
mails use this within a few weeks (currently it's a dsync in crontab
every 5 minutes).