[Dovecot] Vacation via database

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Fri Feb 3 20:49:21 EET 2012

On 02/03/2012 01:34 PM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Am 03.02.2012 19:32, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>>>>
>>> I am facing a similar issue. It looks like sieve can't fetch data from a
>>> database, and dovecot can't fetch sieve scripts from a database. It
>>> would be useful to have, perhaps, only a global sieve script be able to
>>> query a DB, and it would be very useful to allow dovecot to fetch sieve
>>> scripts (actual scripts, not a file path) from a database. Any way to do
>>> this?
>>>
>> sieve with database is on roadmap,as it was discussed before ,as far i
>> remember
>>
>> info
>>
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve
>> http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/
>>
>> anyway it seems there is a lot to do left
>> http://hg.rename-it.nl/dovecot-2.1-pigeonhole/raw-file/tip/TODO
>> so sql support might have to wait
>>
>> but snip
>> ----
>> * ## MAKE A FOURTH MAIN RELEASE (0.4.x) ##
>>
>> * Implement extlists extension as a plugin
>> * Enotify extension: detect use of variable values extracted from the
>> message
>>    that are used in the method argument. RFC reports this as a security
>> issue.
>> * Make the sieve storage a base class with (possibly) various
>> implementations,
>>    just like mail-storage. This aims to provide support for alternate types
>>    of script storage like LDAP or SQL database.
>> ---
>>

>> looks its on the way
> by the way you can use some sql vacation script method
> like implemented in postfixadmin , and has support for horde
> webmail,squirrelmail,roundcube

Yeap, for now, in this case, it looks like I'll be hand-coding something
into exim and adapt an existing roundcube plugin to my situation.
In general, it's looking like I'll be using one, global, static sieve
script which will follow instructions in the form of X-Something: Action
headers, which I'll be conditionally inserting per user preference on
the MX end (exim lmtp transport). Since this is clumsy, I'll try to do
as much as possible within the MX, and leave to sieve only things that
must happen there (e.g. not necessarily vacation).