[Dovecot] ENVELOPE mishandling of Subject lines with quote(s)?

Bill Cole dovecot-20110531 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Feb 6 23:47:07 EET 2012

On 6 Feb 2012, at 16:34, Dinh Le wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> On 6.2.2012, at 22.45, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>>
>>> The subject, because it contains quotes, can't be expressed in a
>>> quoted string so it is instead sent in a literal string.
>>
>> Small correction: Quotes can be escaped in a quoted-string, but
>> Dovecot just doesn't want to do it. Many other servers behave this
>> way as well.
>>
>>> In a literal string, the data is exactly what appears in the
>>> original message.  No post-processing mechanism should be stripping
>>> quotes or anything from this data - it is already in its canonical
>>> state.
>>>
>>> Dovecot is 100% correct in its return.
>>
>> Yes. Looks like Perl's IMAP client hasn't been built properly to
>> expect literals in places where they are allowed. My guess is that
>> this is only one of the 100 other places where a literal is allowed
>> by RFC but not by Perl..
>>
>> Maybe I should add some evil setting to Dovecot where it would use
>> literals everywhere it can, or perhaps randomly send
>> atoms/strings/literals. :)
>>

> Oops, my happy Alpine ^X finger accidently sent the previous reply.  I
> meant to say thanks and will try to come up with a fix to this literal
> string problem for the Perl IMAPClient module.
>
> Don't want Timo's evil config setting to wreak havocs :-).

The best solution for you may be to to update the version of
Mail::IMAPClient you are using. There were fixes for its handling of
literals claimed in the CHANGES file of v3.26  (2011-01-31). I don't
know if that will fix this particular problem, but if you are running an
older version then it would be worth trying the current version.