[Dovecot] IMAP-proxy or not with sogo webmail and dovecot backend

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Mon Feb 13 22:26:23 EET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 09:57:31PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > 	$ doveconf maildir_very_dirty_syncs
> > 	maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes
> >
> > but I don't think this gave the advantage I was expecting.. Was
> > expecting this to move most iops to the index-luns, but the maildir
> > luns seems just as busy.
>
> This setting should get rid of almost all readdir() calls. If it doesn't, something's not working right.

With maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes:

ReadMB/s  WriteMB/s	F_open	f_close	reads	writes	rdir	inode
  1.5	  0.0		96	92	514	73	9	7
  1.2	  0.0		59	43	367	18	4	76
  1.7	  0.0		66	61	477	67	2	6
  1.2	  0.0		54	50	348	31	1	145
  3.0	  0.0		113	90	860	59	7	8
  2.9	  0.0		107	99	840	58	5	11
  4.0	  0.0		131	101	1117	77	2	65

With maildir_very_dirty_syncs = no (same node, a few seconds later):

ReadMB/s  WriteMB/s	F_open	f_close	reads	writes	rdir	inode
  4.6	  0.9		125	91	1161	1096	41	6
  2.3	  0.7		200	170	697	127	86	16
  1.1	  0.6		124	99	406	61	48	109
  2.7	  0.1		212	144	755	114	74	15