[Dovecot] Dovecot v2.2 plans

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 15 20:51:59 EET 2012

On 15.2.2012, at 5.08, <list at airstreamcomm.net> <list at airstreamcomm.net> wrote:

> I know you mentioned you would cover this in a coming post, but we were
> curious what the new dsync replication will be capable of.  Would it
> monitor changes to mailboxes and push automatic replication to the remote
> mail store,

Yes.

> and if this is the case could it be an N-way replication setup
> in which any host in a cluster can participate in the replication?

Initially 2-way, but I don't think anything prevents it being N-way.

> Do you consider this to be a high availability solution?

The initial version is really about doing all of this with NFS. In NFS setup if two replaced storages are both mounted and the primary storage dies, Dovecot will start using the replica. So that's HA.

The other possibility is to run Dovecot in two completely separate data centers and replicate through ssh. Here are more possibilities for how to do HA, but some of them also have downsides.. dovecot.fi mails are actually done this way, and can be accessed from either server at any time. I've been thinking about soon making half of my clients use one server and half the other one to see if I can find any dsync bugs (I've always 3-4 IMAP clients connected).