[Dovecot] Dovecot v2.2 plans

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 21:02:42 EET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> Here's a list of things I've been thinking about implementing for Dovecot v2.2. Probably not all of them will make it, but I'm at least interested in working on these if I have time.
>
> Previously I've mostly been working on things that different companies were paying me to work on. This is the first time I have my own company, but the prioritization still works pretty much the same way:
>
>  - 1. priority: If your company is highly interested in getting something implemented, we can do it as a project via my company. This guarantees that you'll get the feature implemented in a way that integrates well into your system.
>  - 2. priority: Companies who have bought Dovecot support contract can let me know what they're interested in getting implemented. It's not a guarantee that it gets implemented, but it does affect my priorities. :)
>  - 3. priority: Things other people want to get implemented.
>
> There are also a lot of other things I have to spend my time on, which are before the 2. priority above. I guess we'll see how things work out.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the ability to use remote directors
might be interesting. It'd make moving into a director setup probably
a bit more easy. Then any server could proxy to the backend servers,
but without losing the advantage of director-based locality. If a box
sees one of its own IPs in the director_servers list, then it knows
it's part of the ring. If it doesn't, then it could contact a randomly
selected director IP.