[Dovecot] Homedir vs locations vs mail_location?

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Mon Feb 20 11:24:53 EET 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:57:15AM +0300, Alexander Chekalin wrote:

> 1. The homedir value points to the place where everything for the
> user stored at, while mail_location is something (some place) where
> mail stored at. if I deal with pure virtual users (all users are in
> sql tables and no system homes for them at all), should I ever care
> for returning meaningful value for 'homedir' (via password_query's
> userdb_home), or I can simple return empty or constant ('' or '123')
> for it and it won't mess anything?

Dovecot will store non-mailfiles in the homedir. F.ex. quota-files,
sieve scripts, subscription file, .dovecot-lda.dupes, and probably more.
So do yourself a favour and create a real homedir for each user :-)

	http://wiki2.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

> 2. If I use single (default) namespace, should I set namespace's
> location (to the same value as global mail_location), and should I
> expect anything strange if I skip it to set? Reversely, is it
> possible not to set global mail_location and set only namespace's
> location (which would be more logical as namespace definition is
> compact and easy to find in config)?

We have a single namespace, with blank location:

	namespace {
  		hidden = no
  		inbox = yes
  		list = yes
  		location =
  		prefix = INBOX.
  		separator = .
  		subscriptions = yes
  		type = private
	}

But I don't really know the purpose of this location field vs.
mail_location.

  -jf