[Dovecot] Where did the message end up?

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Wed Feb 22 10:03:36 EET 2012

> On 22.2.2012, at 9.34, Dag Nygren wrote:
> > Feb 21 10:02:24 dag dovecot: lda(extuser): Error: user extuser:
> > Initialization failed: Namespace 'MailingLists/':
> > stat(/usr/local/var/mail/MailingLists/mailboxes) failed: Permission
> > denied (euid=2002(extuser) egid=2002(extgroup) missing +x perm:
> > /usr/local/var/mail/MailingLists, euid is not dir owner)
> > Feb 21 10:02:24 dag dovecot: lda(extuser): Fatal: Invalid user settings.
> > Refer to server log for more information.
>
> Right, the mail wasn't delivered, LDA simply exited with tempfail. Actually
> v2.1.0 is the first release where you can easily configure Dovecot to
> simply skip the namespace when it doesn't have permission to access it:
>
>         + Added ignore_on_failure setting for namespaces. If namespace
>           initialization fails with this enabled (e.g. permission denied),
>           the namespace is silently skipped for the user.

Ok. Many thanks for answering this. I am using FC14 and dovecot 2.0.4 at the
moment so I don't have that option yet. It would be nice BTW if dovecot added
the exit status it used in the log if it fails?

> >> Have you checked what happens if deliver tempfails (e.g. make procmail
> >> call tempfail.sh script that just exits with 75), does procmail also
> >> correctly tempfail and tell MTA to retry the delivery later?
> >
> > No, haven't done that. yet. And I don't think it will pass on the
> > failure
> > code. Procmail settings are all from the HOWTO:s though.
> >
> > The .forward file looks like this:
> >
> > "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #extuser"
> >
> > And the applicable rule in .procmailrc:
> > :0 w
> >
> > {
> >
> >        :0
> >        :
> >         | $DELIVERYAGENT -d $LOGNAME -m inbox
> >
> > }
> >
> > Have to point out that this case wasn't important, but I wouldn't like
> > the system to loose an important mail later.
>
> You should definitely make sure that procmail won't lose any mails if
> Dovecot LDA returns tempfailure, since they do sometimes happen. You could
> also get rid of procmail completely by moving to sieve.

Will check the path out. Any way of forcing dovecot to return tempfail for the
tests? Preferrably only for one user :-)

Not familiar with sieve yet, but will for sure look into it.

Thanks again
Dag