[Dovecot] IMAP-proxy or not with sogo webmail and dovecot backend

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Wed Feb 22 11:48:46 EET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 09:31:55AM +0000, Ed W wrote:

> It seems intuitive that the proxy installed locally could save you
> 2x RTT increment, which is about 0.8ms in your case.  So I might
> expect the proxy to reduce rendering times by around 1.6ms simply
> because it reduces the number of round trips to login?  Kind of
> curious why that's not achieved..?

Each http-request can probably trigger several IMAP requests. Maybe
these work better in parallel directly to dovecot, than serialized (?)
trough the imapproxy ? No idea if that's what's happening... or maybe
the imapproxy just adds more overhead than the 2xRTT + imap logins it's
supposed to save us ?

  -jf