[Dovecot] IMAP-proxy or not with sogo webmail and dovecot backend

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Feb 23 01:56:28 EET 2012

On 22/02/2012 23:41, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I've heard LUA being a commonly used embedded language, but I'd prefer
> to instead support several very widely used languages, such as
> Perl/Python.

I'm a perl/ruby fan myself, but I would still recommend a good look at
lua (or python) simply because they seem to be performant, easy to use,
and on the surface seem to have had some thought about making them
"embeddable".

My new favourite editor "Sublime Text 2" has python as it's scripting
language.  Lua has been used for some big name games amongst other things.

Perl has some memory management issues if you leave it long running,
also writing XS code looks ok on the surface, but is an exercise in hair
pulling in practice....  Ruby is a beautiful language, but unsure of how
easy to embed and speed + memory management is an unknown (for high
performance applications)

I think it has potential though.  I think a lot of the current plugins
on the website could easily be rewritten, likely without performance
concerns, using a scripting based plugin system.  I could see that some
other big picture pieces could potentially benefit also

Thanks for considering it

Ed W