[Dovecot] Why is dovecot involved in my smtp process

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Feb 23 18:15:21 EET 2012

On 2/23/2012 10:47 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2012-02-23 10:16 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
>> Why is dovecot involved in my smtp processes
>
> Because you told it to?
Where did I tell it to do this.

>> and how do I fix this.
>
> Depends on what your intent is - what MTA you use - how it is
> configured - etc...

Sendmail - pretty much default except I'm trying to use port submission
(587).
>> I've got some very mad users.
>
> Don't make changes to an existing and/or go live with a new system
> without properly testing?

Unfortunately, switching over to a new server didn't show me most of the
problems until after it had run a while. Dovecot is probably a great
application, but the wiki sucks when you run sendmail, the help files
are a little vague and run me around in circles. I postponed (actually
move the server back to the old server) for a week to fix the problems I
ran into upon first putting it into server. After fixing those, it was
only later that the last batch of problems showed up.

You right that I should have tested more, but that's not what I need to
be hearing right now. Most of my conversions go without problems and
I've been doing this for quite a few years (decades).
>> The 10-auth.conf file is pretty much
>> stock except for allowing plain text logins.
>
> This file is irrelevant unless you have your MTA configured to use
> dovecot-sasl... dovecot only *assists* an MTA in authenticating, it
> isn't an MTA.

My sendmail configs don't even list dovecot.

steve