[Dovecot] Failing: doveadm sync <--remote host--> dsync mirror

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 27 14:45:09 EET 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 20:55 +0100, Michael Grimm wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On 21.02.2012, at 23:03, Michael Grimm wrote:
> > On 21.02.2012, at 22:57, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> >> Probably intentional. Even if it didn't give that error message, it would fail because v2.0 and v2.1 uses a slightly different protocol (I thought about making it backwards compatible, but that seemed like too much work and too much ugliness to code).
> >
> > Ok. Then I will try both servers upgraded to 2.1 within the next days.
>
> JFTR: It took me some time to find a working syntax ;-)
>
> My working 2.0.18 syntax threw the following error:
>
> 	vmail> dsync -v -f -u test ssh vmail at remote-host.tld dsync -v -f -u test
> 	doveadm(vmail): Fatal: Unknown print formatter: -u
> 	dsync-local(test): Error: read() from worker server failed: EOF

You left out "mirror" from that command, but after adding it the latest
hg version works.

> Now I switched to the recommended new syntax as stated in http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.1:
>
> 	vmail> doveadm sync -v -f -u test ssh vmail at remote-host.tld doveadm sync -v -f -u test
> 	doveadm: illegal option -- v
> 	doveadm sync [-u <user>|-A] [-S <socket_path>] [-fR] [-m <mailbox>] <dest>

The -v parameter is in wrong place now, needs to be "doveadm -v sync".

> After some trial by error I finally found a working syntax:
>
> 	vmail> doveadm sync -u test -f ssh vmail at remote-host.tld doveadm dsync-server -u test

Oh, hmm. I hadn't thought about this problem, it shouldn't have been
necessary to give the dsync-server parameter. But I guess there's not a
whole lot of other possibilities to do this. Hmm.

BTW. I think you can do this simply:

doveadm sync -f -u test test at remote-host.tld