[Dovecot] Multiple locations, 2 servers - planning questions...

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Mon Feb 27 20:34:23 EET 2012

Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2012-02-27 12:59 PM, Adam Szpakowski <as at 3a.pl> wrote:

>> I do have a basic question... How many users will be in this new,
>> remote location? Will the traffic be so vast, that 1GbE link will not
>> be enough, or are you using two servers for reliability?

> Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned this...

> Each location is an entire floor of a 6 story building. The remote
> location has the capacity for about 60 users, the new location about
> 100. We only allow IMAP access to email, so if everyone is using email
> at the same time, that would be a lot of traffic over a single Gb link
> I think...

Naa, most clients download mails only once and then keep them cached
locally (at least Thunderbird and Outlook do).

Looking at the used bandwidth of the mailserver of my small university
(10.000 users, about 1000 concurrently active during the daytime)
shows a steady amount of roughly 5MBit/s with peaks to 10MBit/s in and
out.

Remember: your outgoing bandwidth will be roughly the bandwidth of mail
going into the server.

Grüße,
Sven.

--