[Dovecot] Question: Is Server Side Search announced somehow via the IMAP CAPABILITY string?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 28 18:38:32 EET 2012

On 28.2.2012, at 18.33, Charles Marcus wrote:

> This question is a result of an ongoing discussion on the mozilla enterprise list...
>
> Is there a standard/reliable way for an IMAP client to determine that an IMAP server supports server side search

All IMAP servers are required to support SEARCH command. Some crappy ones don't, but I think all widely used ones do.

> (with indexes)?

No way to know that.

Well, okay, actually if server advertises FUZZY extension you can be quite certain that it supports indexed server side searches. And that reminds me, I should hide that extension when FTS isn't enabled in Dovecot.. (I don't know if there are any other servers besides Dovecot implementing FUZZY.)