[Dovecot] Performance of Maildir vs sdbox/mdbox

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Fri Feb 3 14:25:52 EET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:03:18PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > 	I think the way I originally planned LMTP proxying to work is simply too
> > 	complex to work reliably, perhaps even if the code was bug-free. So
> > 	instead of reading+writing DATA at the same time, this patch changes the
> > 	DATA to be first read into memory or temp file, and then from there read
> > 	and sent to the LMTP backends:
> >
> > 		http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.1/raw-rev/51d87deb5c26
> >
> > ----8<----8<----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<----8<-----8<----8<----8<--
> >
> > unfortunately I haven't tested that patch, so I have no idea if it
> > fixed the issues or not...
>
> I'm not sure if that patch is useful or not. The important patch to fix it is http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/71084b799a6c

I now implemented this patch on our directors, and pointed postfix at them.
No problem seen so far, but I'm still a bit uncertain about the
LMTP_PROXY_DATA_INPUT_TIMEOUT_MSECS. I know we're experienceing quite
large delays when fsync'ing (slow IMAP APPEND). Do you think increasing
LMTP_PROXY_DATA_INPUT_TIMEOUT_MSECS is a sensible workaround if we start
seeing lmtp_proxy_output_timeout problems again ?

  -jf