[Dovecot] Postfix + LMTP with virtual users: how to strip domain from LMTP RCPT TO

Mildred Ki'Lya mildred593+dovecot at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:54:36 EET 2012

Hi,

I am trying to set up my own mail server (to get off Google) and I have a
problem with mail delivery. I'm using Postfix as a SMTP front-end, and use
the LMTP server included in dovecot to receive mail from postfix.

I have a setup which works with the dovecot LDA, it involves calling
dovecot-lda with the -d flag. Postfix computes the username by removing
what's after the recipient_delimiter and the domain from the mail address,
and gives this username to dovecot.

But, I'd prefer using LMTP, as it is possible to reject unknown e-mails
without having to duplicate the user database (it is explained here:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix )

I set up LMTP so that postfix uses the socket provided by dovecot, and it
works. Only I get the following error message in the logs:

Feb 10 18:05:53 ashley postfix/smtpd[9298]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from