[Dovecot] Passdb disconnected unexpectedly when trying to do Director with LMTP

Mark Zealey mark.zealey at webfusion.com
Sat Feb 11 16:33:34 EET 2012

Hi there,

I'm running Dovecot 2.0.16 just set up the director with cut&paste from
the wiki. It's working & running fine for pop/imap connections (as
verified by doveadm director status user), however when I specify 'RCPT
TO' for a (tcp) lmtp connection straight away I get:

451 4.3.0 <xxx at yyy.com> Temporary user lookup failure

and in the logs:
2012-02-11T14:22:54+00:00 xxx dovecot: lmtp(27997): Error: passdb
lookup(xxx at yyy.com): Disconnected unexpectedly

I'm sure this is an obvious issue for someone who's come across it
before. The /var/run/dovecot/director-userdb socket is on the system;
exactly the same permissions as the standard auth-userdb

Here are the relevant bits of my config (I'm setting lmtp to listen on a
different port than normal). Backend password database is mysql if that
makes any difference.

lmtp_proxy = yes

service lmtp {
   inet_listener lmtp_test {