[Dovecot] Can we know when a user read our email?

Linda Walsh dovecot at tlinx.org
Sun Jun 3 11:06:18 EEST 2012

Ed W wrote:

> Just to register interest, but at some point I will need to consider
> writing a plugin or similar to achieve exactly this.
>
> Situation is that several of our competitors offer such a feature, ie
> known pool of users on dialup or intermittently connected systems,
> provide an alert back to the sender when your email has been
> "accessed/downloaded" by the remote user.
---
    My dentist used a service that claimed to provide a read-notification.

It was just an embedded web-bug in the email that I could choose to
display or not ... if the client doesn't want to cooperate, you can't
tell when the person read it.  All you could do is tell when a client
downloaded it from dovecot...which doesn't say much for clients that are
left on 24/7...