[Dovecot] difference between client_limit and process_limit

Angel L. Mateo amateo at um.es
Fri Jun 8 14:12:25 EEST 2012

El 08/06/12 12:24, Angel L. Mateo escribió:
> Hi,
>
> What is the real difference between client and process limit? According
> to documentation (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Services#Service_limits):
>
> client_limit: Maximum number of simultaneous client connections. If set
> to 0, default_client_limit is used instead.
> process_limit: Maximum number of processes that can exist for this
> service. If set to 0, default_process_limit is used instead.
>
> But what does "client connection" exactly means? Is a user (login)? Is a
> user opens a few TCP connections (as many clients do) are they count as
> different connections?

	Sorry, it's friday, my mind is on the weekend :-(

	I understand that client_limit is how many connections (imap
connections, for example) could be handle by one dovecot process, so if
I have client_limit=2 and process_limit=1024, then I could 2048
concurrent connections, right?

--
Angel L. Mateo Martínez
Sección de Telemática