[Dovecot] upgrade from 1.0.5 to 2.1.7

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 8 17:58:53 EEST 2012

Am 08.06.2012 16:50, schrieb Andreas Meyer:

>>> I find the message very confusing. It says to do all settings inside auth {} and
>>> then to remove the auth {} section.
>>
>> no, it says you should MOVE all settings OUT from auth {}
>> in the main part and add a prefix auth_ to them
>>
>> you quoted your auth{} section
>>
>> in a pure 2.x setup this would not exist
>>

> I get this output when I move the passwd settings to the main section:
>
> # doveconf -n -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf > /home/mail1/dovecot-2.conf
> doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 710: Unknown setting: auth_passdb

because this does not belong here
consider take a look at dovecot2 manuals

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile

below the auth/passdb config of a 2.1.7 dovecot.conf which
was dovecot 1.x until upgraded to 2.x a very long time ago
within a few minutes by reading error-messages and docs

in this case it is a proxy-only setup accessing dbmail's
user-database for authentication
___________________________

# authentication process
auth_worker_max_count          = 100
auth_cache_size                = 32768
auth_cache_ttl                 = 1800
auth_cache_negative_ttl        = 1800
auth_username_chars            = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@%
auth_username_translation      = %@AaBbCcDdEeFfGgHhIiJjKkLlMmNnOoPpQqRrSsTtUuVvWwXxYyZz

# debug options
auth_debug                     = no
auth_debug_passwords           = no
auth_verbose                   = no
mail_debug                     = no
verbose_ssl                    = no

# configure proxy-database
passdb {
 driver                        = sql
 args                          = /etc/dovecot/sql.conf
}

# we are not using local users
userdb {
 driver                        = static
 args                          = static uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/dev/null
}

# configure backend for postfix sasl-auth
service auth {
  mode                         = 0660
  user                         = postfix
  group                        = postfix