[Dovecot] difference between client_limit and process_limit

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 8 19:33:26 EEST 2012

Am 08.06.2012 18:17, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> On 8.6.2012, at 14.12, Angel L. Mateo wrote:
>
>>> What is the real difference between client and process limit? According
>>> to documentation (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Services#Service_limits):
>>>
>> 	Sorry, it's friday, my mind is on the weekend :-(
>>
>> 	I understand that client_limit is how many connections (imap connections, for example) could be handle by one dovecot process, so if I have client_limit=2 and process_limit=1024, then I could 2048 concurrent connections, right?
>
> Yes, but like the wiki page also says, it's not a good idea increase client_limit for imap/pop3 processes.

depends on the usecase / workload

having dovecot as proxy for other imap-backends and 1 process per connection
will heavily raise up process-count and memory-overhead while memory
may be needed for the imap-backend (like dbmail) and datanases

process_limit                = 15
client_limit                 = 300

this way you can have 4500 proxy-connections and use most time
not more than 4-5 processes