[Dovecot] Dovecot over NFS

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Jun 9 21:40:18 EEST 2012

James Devine wrote:
> I'm playing with running dovecot over NFS and I am running into some
> issues.  I have followed the guide at  http://wiki2.dovecot.org/NFS and my
> setup includes 1 nfs server and 1 client running postfix/dovecot.  In
> testing I am running postal via the command:
>
> postal -t 10 -c 10 localhost users399
>
> The test file has a list of 399 users to deliver to.  I've provided a
> sample of the errors I'm receiving and my configuration below, I am running
> dovecot 2.0.19.  Any idea what I might be doing wrong and what I might do
> to resolve it?  My ultimate goal is to setup multiple clients with director
> so each user is still handled on a single machine, however with a single
> machine I still seem to be having issues.

Have a look at
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Director

> Here is a sample of some of the errors I'm seeing:
>
> Jun  6 15:55:12 test-gluster-client1 dovecot: lmtp(12072, testuser130):
> Error: mdbox /mnt/testuser130/mdbox/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails: Invalid
> dbox header size: 0
> Jun  6 15:55:12 test-gluster-client1 dovecot: lmtp(11999, testuser99):
> Error: Log synchronization error at seq=2,offset=556 for
> /mnt/testuser99/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index: Append with UID 2, but
> next_uid = 3

mdbox format requires a correct index and you will lose flags,
if you lose the index file. The index will be automatically tried
to restore from mails in the storage.

You should avoid accessing the same user directory from different
NFS clients, since this often leads to corruptions or invalid files.

You need a director which ensures that one directory is only accessed
from one host at the same time. This applies to IMAP, POP3, LMTP etc,
which are all writing to the mailbox.

Then you should access all mailboxes only via the director listener ports.

> My dovecot config is:

You posted only the configuration of your mailbox instance
and might have a look your director configuration too:

doveconf -c /etc/dovecot-director/dovecot-director.conf -n

(or wherever your director configuration is located)

Regards
Daniel