[Dovecot] Very High Load on Dovecot 2 and Errors in mail.err.

Jesper Dahl Nyerup jesper at dahlnyerup.dk
Wed Jun 20 09:35:05 EEST 2012

On Jun 11  23:37, Jesper Dahl Nyerup wrote:
> We're still chasing the root cause in the kernel or the VServer patch
> set. We'll of course make sure to post our findings here, and I'd very
> much appreciate to hear about other people's progress.

We still haven't found a solution, but here's what we've got thus far:

 - The issue is not VServer specific. We're able to reproduce it on
   recent vanilla kernels.

 - The issue has a strong correlation with the number of processor cores
   in the machine. The behavior is impossible to provoke on a dual core
   workstation, but is very widespread on 16 or 24 core machines.

One of my colleagues has written a snippet of code that reproduces and
exposes the problem, and we've sent this to the Inotify maintainers and
the kernel mailing list, hoping that someone more familiar with the code
will be quicker to figure out what is broken.

If anyone's interested - either in following the issue or the code
snippet that reproduces it - here's the post:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1315430

As this is clearly a kernel issue, we're going to try to keep the
discussion there, and I'll probably not follow up here, until the issue
has been resolved.

Jesper.