[Dovecot] Dovecot performance under high load (vs. Courier)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jun 21 23:48:03 EEST 2012

Am 21.06.2012 22:44, schrieb Timo Sirainen:

>>> Nearly all of them are non-caching. (I don't know of any caching ones.)
>>
>> roundcube can if configured
>>
>> additionally you should install imapproxy on the webserver
>> wehre your webmail is running and configure the webmail for
>> using 127.0.0.1 - so only one connection per user is
>> persistent instead make a new one for each ajax-request
>
> Someone benchmarked Dovecot a while ago in this list with and without imapproxy and the results showed that imapproxy simply slowed things down by adding extra latency. This probably isn't true for all installations, but I don't think there's much of a difference either way.

depends on network-latency, parallel users and last but
not least count of folders - if you have 30 folders and
roundcube refreshs every 20 seconds it will make in the
worst case 180 connections for one user per minute

maybe a bechmark with high load shows other values

but felt performance in our setup is much better with
imapproxy in front - roundcube feels like a desktop client